Sunday, December 2, 2012

Vic and Sade Americana in the news - since 1932

I've got a project going; I'm finding Rhymerisms in the news and clipping them out and will start a section just of his Americana.

"Americana" is the word Bill Idelson used several times when describing Rhymer's work.

I believe it perfectly describes some of Rhymer's work.  A lot of his work goes beyond Americana...  For instance, when I think of Americana, the first thing I think of is Norman Rockwell.

Rhymer is sometimes Rockwell and sometimes he turns Rockwell on his head.  Is that Americana?

I haven't looked it up, but Americana to me means items or speech that influenced Americans so much that it carried over past the time it was popular.

Is that the real definition?

Wikipedia says: Americana refers to artifacts, or a collection of artifacts, related to the history, geography, folklore and cultural heritage of the United States.

So yeah.  But speech can be Americana too, can't it? It doesn't have to be tangible.

Paul Bunyan and Babe aren't tangible but tell me that's not Americana?

Anyway, I'm collecting newspaper stuff that has to do with Rhymerisms... it should begin showing up today on the Crazy World.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...