Monday, December 17, 2012

Question - You spend a lot of time thinking about the series, don't you?

The interview with myself continues:

Q.  You spend a lot of time thinking about the series, don't you?

A.  I do. Especially the last month or so.  But I remember even before I started the project of writing the book where I would spend minutes a day analyzing the show - treating the characters if they were real people.

I have to think Rhymer treated these characters as if they were real entities.  I have to think that to him, Sade was real.  She was someone - probably his mother.  If Sade was made in his mother's image, then she really was his mother, for all intents and purposes.  Therefore, we can psychoanalyze her, so to speak.

I have a lot more to say about that sort of thing in the book.

But yes, I zone out for many minutes a day when I'm not working and watch the squirrels outside; but what I'm really doing is thinking about the family and why certain things happen the way they do.  And honestly, when I listen to other OTR, I tend to wonder where the writer got his ideas.  I listen to Fibber McGee and Molly a lot and right now I'm in the 1950's run of that show; it's hard not to notice many things that you wonder if Don Quinn took from Rhymer.  Not stealing, but just how things are worded or little sayings.  It seems I hear one thing in just about every show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...