Thursday, December 20, 2012

Imagined photos question

The interview with myself continues...

Q. You've added "imagined photos" to your Character website.  What can you tell us about that?

A.  Well as I said, I was hesitant about that.  But I did it.  I've spent way-way-way too much time looking for the "right" photo.  I never ever thought it would be hard.  That's the absolute most difficult job I have with any of my sites.  Sometimes (rarely) it's not hard - but 80% of the time, I may have to look at 100 candidate photos to find the right one.

Photos from the 1930's and 1940's aren't that easy to find on the internet to begin with.  Finding a guy wearing five neckties is even harder (Fletcher knew a guy who wore five neckties at once... finding that photo was ridiculously hard - but somehow, I finally found one!)

It's really so hard that after a while, I would just come to somebody who was famous (Lee Harvey Oswald as a teen is one character, for instance) and just started using them.  Most people won't know who it is - although they may recognize them.  I figure it's a bit of a joke anyway.  There are a lot of "easter egg" photos on the character site - maybe 50-60, I am not really sure.

I remember I used John Dillinger, Butch from The Little Rascals films and just recently I used that guy from the recent Sherlock Holmes films - Robert Downey Jr. as a character. 

I do manipulate each photo enough to where it's a bit skewed. 

Anyway, if I had to do it all over again, I would NOT do it.  It's just too much work.

(By the way, African-Americans from that time period are almost impossible to find on the internet.  Especially males.  Unless they were professional boxers.  CRAZY!)

I'm not exactly sure how many characters are on that website - probably in the neighborhood of 8-900 of them.  That's pretty ridiculous to keep up with as it is - finding the photos was simply a nightmare.

Still, some photos are just perfect.  Having those fit perfect like a jigsaw puzzle was just pure luck. 

And when you find those perfect fits (there might be 75-100 of them) they are kind of funny.  I laugh out loud sometimes when I am over there adding something and see a "perfect fit" photo I found but had forgotten about.  :)

It's fun to go through every photo and see if you recognize them.  I'd say 1 in 8 are "famous" -- there's a bunch of Consolidated Kitchenware executives that are part of the Russian cabinet from the 1950's; there are many, many French movie stars from the early Parisian talkies... stuff like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...