Saturday, March 23, 2013

Dennis the Menace = Rush Gook?

When I was a kid, I watched re-runs of Dennis the Menace as often as I could.

On YouTube, there are currently five complete episodes of the show available for viewing.

I recently watched those five episodes.  It occurs to me that there is quite a bit of Rush Gook in Dennis Mitchell.

That's not to say that all kids don't have a bit of Rush inside of them; I think they do.  But the early days of Rush (of which we only have scripts and script sypnosi) show a very Dennis the Menace-type character. 

Dennis was probably not at all patterned after Rush but I do think Paul Rhymer's Rush did influence quite a bit of the TV characters of the 1950's and 1960's.  And it's probable Vic and Sade influenced other television shows of the same time period, especially in events concerning lodges (The Honeymooners, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, The Flintstones, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...