Thursday, November 29, 2012

Louie Johnson's notes #6 - Chicago's Cullerson hotel - and Chief Cullerson

I'm excited as I got some more notes from Vic and Sade researcher Louie Johnson.  He writes:

from Vic and Sade Characters
There's a series on History Channel called something like "Underground" where the host travels around the world investigating what lies beneath various cities.  I was watching a few weeks ago when he was doing a show in Chicago. In particular focus was a mob-controlled hotel which was basically a brothel and speak-easy that also had underground rooms for gambling with convenient escape tunnels.  Many of the police were bought off and didn't bother with the place anyway, and it was widely regarded as the seediest hotel in Chicago.  It was pretty much out of business by the 1940's.  The name of the establishment? The Cullerson Hotel !!! I have never in all my V&S research heard any reference to this place.  Isn't it just like [Paul] Rhymer to name his police chief after the most corrupt hotel in the history of Chicago?!  I immediately Googled Cullerson Hotel, but almost all the links that resulted pointed to your site, including Police Chief Cullerson  and The Bright Kentucky Hotel.  So I haven't found any other info about the Cullerson Hotel.
=============

I was pretty excited about this too.  I did some research this morning and found the hotel was actually called the Cullerton Hotel rather than Cullerson.

Still, they may be related.  We may never know, but I appreciate this information and we might come across something else one day that will connect the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...