Saturday, November 17, 2012

Louie Johnson note #4 - Rhymer's hyphenated words

Louie Johnson left some great notes; I'm really appreciating his insight. You can tell he listened to the broadcasts and read the scripts with a hunger and that's something I can appreciate. Louie wrote:
Another thing I notice in the scripts is the tons of hyphenated words. It interests me that most of the words people hyphenated back in the 30’s and 40’s are no longer hyphenated: drug-store, horse-thief, floor-lamp, and on and on and on.
I had often wondered about this myself, although it only seems to happen when Vic is calling Rush a nickname.  I'm not at all certain how the grammar worked back in the 30's and 40's so I'll not comment one way or the other.

I will say, as someone who listens to a lot of OTR, that some words have completely changed over the years as well as have their pronunciation (a couple examples of pronunciation include: protein and Los Angeles.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...