Friday, November 16, 2012

Louie Johnson note #3 - Jean Shepard

Louie Johnson sent me some notes a while back; he writes:
Jean Shepherd denied being a fan of Vic and Sade, insisting he acquired the humor by osmosis from his mother, who was indeed a fan.  I vividly recall his frequent use of “Dismal Seepage, Ohio” and his use of quasi-Latin “In hoc agricula conc, in est spittle auc.”  At the time I assumed these were his inventions.  Wrong.  Much later I discovered Vic and Sade, and realized Shep’s extensive borrowing of Rhymer-humor indicates someone who, despite his denials, must have been a devoted fan of the series.  Another example comes to mind:  a name frequently used by Shepherd – Ocky Dildock.  I’ve recently found two scripts where Rhymer uses the name Ocky: Ocky Needermyer (5-2-44, Howard, The Runaway) and Ocky McMasterson (3-18-44, Letter From Stella Klank).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...